Monday, October 29, 2007

WielerClub Eindhoven (WCE)

WielerClub Eindhoven is the name of my cycling team for the year 2007. Wieler means 'cycling' and Eindhoven is the name of the city I'd be representing. The moment I got accepted on this team I knew I'd be able to grow as a cyclist greatly. I had a personal coach and a great team to rely upon. Let the competitions begin...

The day I got the new outfit was the greatest so far in my cycling career. I was as proud as a peacock boasting its wide-open ornate tail. That day I realized it was going to be a great year.

Despite a job, studies and right before the competition period, a difficult separation from my beloved one, have I been able to ride plenty of competitions this year. Mostly thanks to the support of my teammates who'd take me to the competitions every time. I myself have no car and it made the situation quite difficult for me. However, there was always someone willing to give me a hand and give me a ride. The distances between where I lived and that of the competitions were about 20 to 50 km away. Once in a while I could go riding the bike, but not on a regular basis.

Because I'd be competing in a fully organized team for the first time, guidance was uttermost important. I wasn't left alone and eventually it turned out that my personal advisor was Peter Verhouden, three times National Champion of the Amateurs. He then became a really close friend of mine. Every time I stepped into his car, he would inform me about the competition of the day; the do's and don’ts, and how to reach the finish line. All of his advices were precious for me. It was a great honor for me to be advised by him.

Thanks to his advices, my own little experience in the field and the support of the rest of my teammates, has it been possible enjoy this competition period; however, nothing would've ever been possible without the continuous direction of my Lord, Jesus Christ. He did not only prepare me for the competition world, but I could also fall back into His embracing arms whenever the hardships would get me down.

I had to sweat all my strength away altogether with the vaporizing energy which would loosen up whenever I had to compete. It was painful and breathtaking as well. I then realized that I wasn't ready for a victory yet. Nevertheless, as I rode more competitions, did I get more skilled and whenever I rode again was I able to handle the situation better than the competition before. I rode around 20 competitions this year. Here are my best results:

Circuits (50 - 70 km):

  • De Mortel: Peloton
  • Milheze (Hoeven): Peloton
  • Zeeland: Peloton
  • De Rips: Peloton
Classics (80 - 130 km):
  • Omloop van der Peel (1st stage): Peloton
  • Ronde van Brabant: 39th (My best competition of the year in Holland)
  • Hel van Brabant (1st stage): 69th
  • Rogtour International competition
    • Time trial: 103rd (Not that great :-/)
    • Circuit: Peloton
    • Classic: 30th
    • General classification: 82nd
Other:
  • Pro Tour Challenge team time trial: 4th (team result)

As you can see, the results weren't that of a winner yet. I couldn't complain though. Those were tough times in which I had to take care of my studies, job, and the visa documentation for my beloved one. The last situation is the one which jeopardized my cycling results. I could never train long enough and I had not psychological rest at all. Every time I stepped on the bike, I would be pressed by the obligations awaiting me at home. It was certainly not pleasant to live under such pressure, but no one said that living alone and being a cyclist is easy.

Regardless of the situation, I must say that every time I rode my bike during a competition, I felt closer to my dreams. I was doing what I've been meant to do, and that gave me the satisfaction needed to have peace of mind and keep on breaking through.

The picture above is the highest point of my career that year, “The national competition for amateurs in Holland”. Never before, had I had the chance to reach such a high level in Holland. It was certainly a dream come true. With a bright new full-carbon bike, I dove into the competition not caring about anything else. Due to the lack of training though, I felt obliged to leave it halfway through and head towards home.

Ironically enough, I went home cycling even after having competed at 21:00 hours in the night. I rode 50 km that night on my way home. I was home at almost midnight but nothing mattered, I had been in the competition and afterwards had I received the gift of one of the most beautiful sunsets I'd ever seen. That moment, was I completely fulfilled. God let me know that it wasn't over; instead, it was the beginning of a great journey within the cycling world. More training and a better situation would lead me as high as I wanted to go...

"Just hold on David, never give up and keep on fighting the good fight".


No comments: