Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Train, oil the wheelchain, secure all bolts, make sure the wheels spin unhinderd, smoothen the legs, massage the muscles, concentrate mentally. That was the minimal preparation required for such an important event: a day in which I compare my time to those of the profs. The expectations weren't that high though the excitement was digging deep into my very soul. For the last week have I done my best for the preparation. I trained applying all the knowledge I own so far regarding the sport.

Sunday June 19, the D-day. I woke up at seven o'clock sharp and got things ready to go. Once in the sport center I picked up my brand new T-Mobile Challenge shirt and put it on letting people know of what was about to happen. In the start line my thoughts were focused basically in one thing: Ride well, apply what you learned, and finish it right. Once the gun was fired, every other cyclist took the chase for the best time. I remained most of the time back in the platoon while a couple of friends took the lead most of the time. Together with a group of fast bikers did we make a considerable speed and headed away. During the race have I been absolutely cautious of making no faults: leading when I had to, drinking when there was need to, taking the sugar supply adequately, searching for a strategic place within the other cyclists, every single technique so far learned have I applied for the succes of that ride.
It was unbelievable. At the end of it when searching for a decent place in the front did I see all the other riders go past me from behind. Everyone was in search of that first place. It's the last curve before the end the which saved my day. I took it from inside, hit the pedal, tensed the muscles and breathed deeply. The energy reserved which lay still within me was during those last 500 meters of decisive importance for a chance of succes. Following the wheel of the fastest rider did I open up a way to go through. When the one in front of me was blocked and prod away from the road by another biker, did I have a gap to give it all and reach out for the finish line. During those last seconds of deep pressure had I realized that practically the whole group was left behind me except for another one who was quite ahead of me. It was unbelievable, with tears of excitement running down my face and the emotion bursting out of my chest had I realized that I had come beyond my own expectations and goal...
By God's grace has been possible! My expectations were the minimal: I thought of riding 37km/h max being afraid of getting exhausted along the way; but instead, with energy enough to leave the group behind have I ended the 48.6 km ride with a time of 1:08:41.79 hours making it a 42.68 km/h ride!

I give all my credit to God who made it possible. He gave me an amazing weather, no flat tires, and above all the health and chance to do it. May His name forever be glorified, Amen!

No comments: