Thursday, March 17, 2005

A peculiar day

5 days before the official starting date of spring has the sun begun to shine here in the small, but beautiful city of Den Bosch, Netherlands. The sun was shining to its fullest accompaniend by a pleasant 17 degree weather which was crying out to me, "Hey man, take your bike and hit the road!" Despite the fact I missed a couple of lessons that day, has the trouble surely paid its cost.

Nevertheless, was it the day after the peculiar one. Despite the fact that the sun was once again concealed by the overwhelming power of gray clouds, was the weather still decent enough to enjoy it outdoors.
After school have a friend of mine and I taken the same train to go home. He had an appointment at 6:30 as well as I did. By considering the fact that we both had to wait for more than an hour, we decided the go downtown.
Along the way, after walking alongside that majestic golden dragon, lies a bakery café where the most delicious whipped cream bals, inclosed by the most exclusive chocolate in all of Holland, are baked. They are the so-called 'Bosche Bollen' in honor to the city's name. As a commentary, I mentioned my friend the fact that I'd someday dare to enter that place, sit there, and simply delighten myself with it's appealing taste.
My Friend, determined and practical as always, suggested to do it instantly. Thus, for the first time ever have I had the priviledge to enjoy the most delicious 'Bosche Bol' from all of Holland! Well, the delicatesse was in no time brought within our bowels, so we immediatly moved further on. We decided to go and sit somewhere in a terrace to simply relax and enjoy the weather. Therefore, we went to the main 'plaza' of the city. There, have I once again for the very first time ever sat outside, relaxed my legs and simply breathed the refreshing air of a new, 'warm' day in Holland together with a friend of mine.
Well, with a 'Bossche Bol' in my entrails, a relaxed position and fresh air in the lungs, was this image still to be improved with something to drink. The friend of mine suggested me to join him with a beer, but instead did I order a humble bottle of water, or 'Spa Blauw' as they call it here. Meanwhile, in the discussion did we argue about the reason why I hadn't taken a beer with him. I told him I had never had a drop of beer in my life; I did indeed like other sort of beverages, but not beer.
Well, once both our glasses were emtpy again, did he invite me to order something more adequate to the situation than simply water. To his insistence, did I agree to take a beverage. There were all sorts of them, but when I realized what I was doing did my thoughts go, "Hey man, don't be stupid! You want to drink the least amount of alcohol possible and then you agree on taking a 40% alcohol rich drink?" Once I considered the though did I finally decide to take the beer that according to him, was the most adequate for the situation. When it was served, was it indeed a refreshing drik called "Desperado"; with a slice of lemon on it and a light beer flavor did I once again satisfy the taste sensors of my palate.

In resume, have I within one hour, had the chance to delighten myself with three things which I had not yet enjoyed. All three of them at the best moment posible and with the company of a friend of mine!
Now, healthy and critical people may think that it's absolutely not the case. I mean, eating a fat-filled pastry, sitting and doing simply nothing, and even drinking a beer breaking the sentence of "I have never had a drop of beer before" are surely not the very best of things to do. However, was the attitude of my friend to be regarded as what hospitality means, admirable.

No comments: